Title III of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires private physical and mental healthcare providers to provide appropriate accommodations and ensure patients have full communication access.
All private healthcare facilities and providers, regardless of business size, are required to meet this obligation. Hospitals, nursing homes, psychiatric and psychological services, offices of private physicians, dentists, health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and health clinics are included among the healthcare providers covered by the ADA.
- Inpatient and outpatient settings
- Peer-led settings (such as AA or self-help groups)
- Outreach settings
- Day programs
- Private clinician’s offices
- Clinic settings and emergency rooms
- Forensic and court venues
- Long-term residential care settings